Monday, June 9, 2008

My Two Sons - Father's Day 2008


Pictured: Matt Burns, 7, Aaron 5, and their cousin, K. C. 8 months
I wanted to do my first "Father's Day Blog" on my two sons. Matthew James Burns, our oldest son was born on March 24, 1977. Aaron Jay Burns, our youngest was born on August 24, 1979. Both born at the Raleigh General Hospital, Beckley, West Virginia. Coletta and I had Matt the old fashioned way with an old fashioned Doctor where I just sat in the hospital waiting room waiting for my name to be called so they could tell me, "It was a boy!" Dr. Bliss was easily in his 60's, when he delivered both of our sons. But, by the time Aaron was born, he had a change of heart, and let me "in" for the event. I put on the garb and got to see my second child born. Bliss had delivered literally hundreds of West Virginia babies, but, when Aaron popped out, I said to the Doc, "Wow wee, I haven't even seen a cat born before!" The Doc's reply was simple and quiet. "Me neither!"

Give or take a few years, Matt and Aaron spent 18 years of their lives being raised in a "pastor's home." Matt's 31 now and Aaron will be 29 the end of this summer, so, I guess I can say, "I've raised my boys!" I said "good bye" to Matt when we moved to Ohio as he stayed back in Kansas for a while. We then said "good bye" to Aaron when he left for college in Northern Wisconsin.

Coletta and I love both of our sons equally and always have. Neither of them always behaved perfectly (or like how all the church folks thought they should have), but they were both much better than I was growing up, especially during my teen years. They are both smart, practical, handsome, funny, fun to be with, and hard workers. They are thoughtful too. I can't remember a birthday, a Father's Day, or a Christmas that both of my boys didn't either, call, write, or come visit to assure me of their love for their old gray haired dad. So, if you have kids, cherish the baby and toddler years. Cherish the times of taking your kids to drop them off at school. Don't miss a ball game or music performance your kids play in. Take them on day trips, fishing, skiing, and neat vacations camping and going to parks. Go canoeing with them. (We did all of this and had a blast)! And then, when your kids grow up and move away, you won't have to hear them say, "Dad never had any time for me!"


From Left to Right: Aaron and Matt Burns with neighbor girl at Hutchinson, Kansas

Thanks Matt and Aaron for making your old man feel so loved. I'm proud of both of you, and love you very much. Even with all the ups and downs, laughter and tears, I can honestly say, "It's good to be a Father."

That's something to think about. jimmycburns@aol.com