Tuesday, June 17, 2008

More on My Boys, Matt and Aaron


That's me on the left, Aaron in the center holding our former Scotty Dog Kobie (she died 3 years ago), and Matt on the right. This photo was taken in May 1995 as a surprise gift from the boys and me for Mother's Day. Matt was just finishing up his Jr. Year in High School, and Aaron was finishing his Freshman year. I was 42. We lived in Inman, Kansas and Coletta and I worked and went to college in McPherson, Kansas where this picture was taken. For this photo setting, I ironed ten different shirts for the three of us while Coletta was working at the McPherson Hospital, not knowing for sure which "three" of the ten would "match." Kinda crazy walking in to the photographer's studio with a Scotty, the boys and ten shirts. One funny thing was that the shirt I am wearing here was Matt's and he's wearing my shirt! The photographer made us switch!

1995 was one of the toughest years in our lives, but we learned to really trust God and the Lord used that year to really draw us closer to Him and closer together as a family.

Just last Sunday was Father's Day. As always, my boys made me proud to be their Dad and showed their love to me. Aaron sent me money,an E-card and called me from China. Matt, his wife Jenny and daughter, Miley met Coletta and me for supper at Olive Garden in Lima, Ohio, and gave me a beautiful golf bag and a great card from my granddaughter on her first Father's Day! Coletta is letting me pick out my very first GPS for our car this week, and gave me a neat card also. As I was eating with my family that day, I said, "How could a Father ask for more? A call from a son in China on my cell phone as I was eating at a Chinese Restaurant (that was lunch), gifts from my family, and then, supper with my oldest son and his family!" It all made me so proud to be a Father, and the whole day ended up being one of the best Father's Days I've ever had.

Please read the article below and see two more pictures of my boys when they were younger.

That's something to think about! jimmycburns@aol.com