Sunday, May 18, 2008

Pastoring in Seven Days!

What does a pastor do in one week? Every pastor would certainly have a different schedule, different activities, appointments and ministries, but this past week for me was quite eventful. It started out on Monday meeting with three of our officers to sign papers at our bank for a loan for our new building, working with my wife power spraying our new building, contacting our architect about the state codes, communicating with the technician installing our fire and burglar alarm, setting up tables and chairs with the Salway brothers for our Wed. night supper and an important building committee meeting. I also made several shut in and hospital calls in three different towns with my wife, Coletta and our granddaughter, Miley, made a pastoral visit to an inmate at the Van Wert County Jail, and helped with our Saturday morning work day at the school building we are converting into a church.
I also spent some time this past week submitting news articles to our local newspapers and I made an emergency hospital visit late Sat. night for a little four year old girl who had a backyard swing set collapse on her doing serious damage to her head. I left the hospital last night at 11:15, and after all of our Sunday Church services were over today, I finished up a counseling session about 10:00 tonight.

I'm pretty embarrassed to say this, but I was so swamped last week with all the "details" of the church work that I didn't finish typing my sermon until about 7:00 this morning before I left for morning church. But, thank the Lord, He gave me strength to do what needed to be done this past week, and He will provide the strength for this week too! I’m so glad the Lord has given me the health, strength, and experience to pastor some of the most wonderful people in the whole world. I joked with our church folks this morning about our church growing, because three Sundays ago, we had 151, last Sunday 152, and today, 153!


I just wanted to share with you a little bit of what a week is like in the life of a pastor. I'm not complaining. I am thrilled and very honored to have the privilege of pastoring a church. It has been very gratifying and rewarding to help other people and be a partner with the Lord in the greatest business in the world!

That's something to think about! jimmycburns@aol.com