Monday, September 28, 2009

BACK IN THE BIG SKY!


Last Saturday Evening about 5 pm, I was driving out to a new bike trail West of Van Wert to jog off some pounds. It was an absolutely beautiful evening, perfect for flying (and jogging). I called Bill Rager, a Christian (Gideon) pilot friend, to see if by chance he was at the airport. He was finishing his days work, and said, "I will be there in 15 minutes if you want to go up!"

I was driving right by the airport anyway, so, sure! I met Bill and in a matter of minutes, we were 3,000 feet in the sky in his 1969 Comanche 260. Since I had taken some flight lessons a few years ago, and had been flying with Bill before, he let me handle the controls shortly after take off.

We flew East of Van Wert, looked at our local "Corn Maze" (It's Abraham Lincoln this year), then went North towards a small village called Grover Hill to check out several acres of Bill's corn and soy beans to see if any were ready for harvest. What a great night. It also made for a nice "sermon illustration" for the Sunday School Class I taught Sunday. It had been a couple of years since I had been up in a single engine private plane, and I loved it! Thanks Bill for the fun and fellowship. What a blessing to be back up in the Lord's big sky!

That's something to think about.